Lilikoi Jelly ~ Passion Fruit

Colorful LilikoiPassion fruit, or lilikoi as we know it in Hawaii is a unique fruit with a pleasantly sweet and tart flavor.  The most common varieties are yellow and purple and they can be found in some of our health food stores on Maui.  They have a tough, waxy and smooth rind yet once you cut through the hard outer skin, the most amazing scent envelops the air.  Once cut in half, you might wonder what all the fuss is about.  Be patient.  You will find an aromatic gelatinous seed filled pulp with a fragrance that is hard to describe.  “Sublime” might hit the right note. An important step at the start of the jelly making process is to select a good recording of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony and set the volume to “eleven” ala Spinal Tap!

Cut LilikoiUsing a spoon remove the pulp from the rind.  You can strain the seeds out as we do to make juice for the jelly.  The pulp from the fruit can be eaten as is, seeds and all.

Lilikoi pulp

OxoIf you have a food mill this is a good opportunity to use it.  Scrape the pulp into the mill and turn, turn, turn.  Soon you will have your 2 cups of lilikoi juice.

Lilikoi juice

Boiling lilkoi juiceBring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly with a long wooden spoon.

Lilikoi Jellies

Lilikoi ToastA few pats of butter on your favorite toast with a spoonful of lilikoi jelly.  It’s divine.

Lilikoi Jelly

Makes 8 half pint jars

Ingredients

2 cups lilikoi juice (about 4 1/2 – 5 pounds of fresh lilikoi) or frozen, unsweetened passion fruit pulp  (Goya brand)

1 3/4 cups water

7 1/2 cups sugar

6 ounces liquid pectin (2 pouches Certo brand)

Preparation

Prepare canner and canning jars.

Combine juice, water and sugar in a large, tall pot.  Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.  Immediately add liquid pectin and bring to a full, rolling boil.  Boil rapidly for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from the heat, skim off foam (use a small fine mesh strainer) and pour into sterilized jars leaving 1/8 – 1/4 inch space between the jelly and rim of the jar.  Secure 2 part lids and process for 5 minutes in boiling water canner.

***Basic canning instructions can be found here.

This entry was posted in Breakfast, Canning, Fruit, Recipes, Vegan, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Lilikoi Jelly ~ Passion Fruit

1. LIANNA says:

I just made this and it turned out perfect. beautiful. I find it a little sweet though, so is there any way to use a little less sugar? Thanks. Otherwise the color and everything is just perfect. A real simple jelly once you get the juice! Aprox. how many pieces of fruit do you need to make 2 cups juice? Mahalo

2. Kiyo says:

Hi Lianna, Thank you for your comment. This recipe is adapted from two different sources. One of which is the recipe my friend’s mother uses. Her recipe uses a bit less sugar (6 1/2 cups) and slightly different proportions of liquid (2 cups juice, 1 1/2 cups water) with same amount of liquid pectin. Tamoe’s jelly is a bit softer and makes fewer jars. We found another recipe from the book Fruits of Hawaii and they use more juice and less water (3 cups juice, 1 cup water) and 7 1/2 cups of sugar however the amount of lilikoi juice seemed too intense. We settled on our current recipe which we feel is ideal. Give Tamoe’s recipe a try next time and see if it’s more to your liking. Sorry I didn’t count the lilikoi I used, just weighed them. Next time I’ll do that! Thanks again and aloha! Kiyo

• Lucy Rogge says:

Can I use orange juice instead of water? Also, I have the powder Pectin, and each batch calls for 3 Tbs. What you think?

• Kiyo says:

Hi Lucy! Lilikoi juice is very full-flavored so water is added to dilute the juice. I would not recommend using orange juice but stick with the original recipe. Also liquid and powdered pectin are not interchangeable in this particular recipe (they are added at different stages). Here is a link that explains the difference between the two: http://www.sbcanning.com/2011/06/powdered-vs-liquid-are-they-all-same.html
        Hope you give the recipe a try. It’s our favorite jelly!

• Lucy Rogge says:

I did use orange juice instead of water and I did use powdered pectin. I used the pectin with the juice and added the sugar after it boiled. I used water with the second batch and the one with orange juice turned out a little better. There was more flavor, but the one with added water turned out good also. I didn’t have the liquid Certo, so used sure-jel and just prepared it different, same results.

• Kiyo says:

Hi Lucy! Great! Good to know that both your batches of jelly turned out well. I always stuck with the liquid pectin since I never see powdered pectin in lilikoi jelly recipes. Do you grow your own lilikoi? It makes the best tasting jelly!

3. LIANNA says:

Aloha Kiyo! I tried your recipe with 6.5 cups sugar and it turned out great! It was wonderful, perfect I would say! Thanks for that. The color is just beautiful also. I am going to make more right now! yummy. Mahalo from Hawaii, Lianna

• Kiyo says:

Hi Lianna,
      Great! I’m glad it turned out. I will try Tomoe’s recipe again this weekend. There’s nothing better than fresh lilikoi jelly, it’s so fragrant and delicious. Do you have fresh mangoes? We have been making mango-strawberry jam. Delicious!
      Thanks again for the update!
      Aloha,
      Kiyo

4. Linda says:

The recipe sounds great and easy…just need clarification on the 1 3/4 cups of water. Is that added to the lilikoi/sugar prior to boiling? Thanks, Linda

• Kiyo says:

Hi Linda! Yes this recipe is very easy and there’s nothing like the scent of lilikoi in your home when your making this jelly. The juice and the water are combined and added at the same time. Aloha!

• Kiyo says:

Hi Linda, Thank you! I added the water to the preparation section of the recipe.

5. Sandy says:

Have you ever made pectin from the lilikoi rind/shell? I have heard this is an option.

• Kiyo says:

Aloha Sandy! A friend of my husband made a lilikoi jam in which she threw the shells in with the pulp. She threw the seeds in and all! It wasn’t an ideal solution (the seeds are quite large) and the jam was on the softer side. I read on another blog that someone tried lilikoi jelly without using pectin. She included other fruit juices that contain a lot of pectin but it didn’t firm up. If you give it a try please let me know how it turns out!

6. rossinhawaii says:

I have had both success and dismal failure using the shells to make Lilikoi jam. Each time I used the same recipe and the first time we had the most heavenly jam on earth. The second time the jam didn’t set and had an awful off-taste. I ended up dumping 24 small bottles.
    I have just squeezed 4 cups of juice from the last of my lilikoi vines and I’m going to use your recipe. Wish me luck!
    Oh, try saving some of the seeds to put in your jam; while unconventional they are quite tasty.

• Kiyo says:

Oh no! Having to say goodbye to 24 bottles of lilikoi jelly would be terrible! I hope it turned out this time. Please let me know how your latest batch of jelly turned out. I haven’t had a bad batch of jelly with this recipe. Good luck!!!

7. rossinhawaii says:

SUCCESS!
    I watched carefully as the jelly set up and when I turned a jar over and it was firm I squealed with joy! I have already given away half of it and we enjoyed it with fresh bread for breakfast. I still have enough juice for another batch!
    Thanks for the great recipe.

• Kiyo says:

Oh I’m so glad to hear your jelly turned out perfect!!! They do make great gifts and family and friends adore lilikoi jelly. It’s our favorite jelly too because the flavor of the lilikoi is not lost after the canning process (such as mango jam). Happy canning!